Re: [oletrucks] 350 Turbo shifter rod

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350 Turbo shifter rod
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 20:49:20 -0700
> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 21:43:02 -0400
> From: "Tom" <tomntam@earthlink.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] 350 Turbo shifter rod
>
> I dropped the pan on my Turbo 350 tonight and tomorrow I am going to change
> the shifter rod from where I messed it up changing the seal.  I saw where
> there is a nut that seems like it holds the rod between the valve body and
> the tranny housing. It also looks like it may be a little tricky getting a
> wrench in there to turn it. Does anyone have any tips that would aid me in
> changing the shifter rod out?
> Also, I drained the pan, but not the converter, how much fluid should it
> hold?
>                 Thanks,
>                 Tom 55 2nd 3100

Tom--

The spacer, which I previously called a horseshoe clip, goes between the
case and the detent plate (that thing that looks like a rooster's head
dress).  Remove the spacer, and you should be able to pull the rod out
enough to get a box wrench on the nut.  The detent roller will probably
be the first thing to remove, to take the stress off the detent plate.

Be sure to take a good look at how it is BEFORE you take it apart!  take
notes if needed, or take a couple pics with a polaroid or a digital
camera.  Note which way the detent plate is in.  Note how the pin on the
detent plate fits into the shift valve (which sticks out of the valve
body).  Note how the parking linkage (the long rod that goes to the
back) fits at both ends.  Note how it feels to turn the rod, how it
clicks, and what it feels like when it goes into park.

And be patient   :)

Jim F
59s in AZ