[oletrucks] Fw: Losing history

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Fw: Losing history
From: "John Rockefeller" <dbr@powerweb.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:06:52 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: John Rockefeller
To: Wagner@620wtmj.com
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 2:04 AM
Subject: Losing history

Jeff,

I own a 1949 Chevy pickup truck and belong to a web group dedicated to helping
each other keep these peices of American History on the roads.  Well a couple
of days ago the group recieved the following email about Old Navy.  I don't
know if this will interest you or your listeners, but the thought that a piece
of Americana is being used to hawk t-shirts over seas while we restorers
scrounge for parts just eats at me and most of my group.

John "Rock" Rockefeller
1949 3100 "Eeyore"
920-324-3357
Member of oletrucks@autox.team.net

EMAIL POSTED TO THE LIST

I was talking to a customer yesterday, who has a friend who ships the
old Navy trucks from Pa, USA all over the US and internationally.  He
said his friend tells him there is a huge warehouse in PA (exact
location my customer wasn't sure, but can find out)  He says they are "
vacuuming up any and all AD trucks they can find, they strip the drive
trains and there are piles of iron ( they sell it as scrap )  Then they
disasseble the trucks , sort the  good sheet metal from crap and al la
cart put as many trucks together as possible mix n match (GMC and
Chevys)...weld the doors and hood shut and blast them with that ugly
primer.   Seems like an awful waste to me.   He told me they are even
shipping this stuff overseas as old Navy expands internationally.
--
Chet Balint
1950 Chevy AD "Rocky"

http://pages.cthome.net/chevypickup50/