Re: [oletrucks] Introduction

To: Ole 51 <ole51@att.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Introduction
From: Rick Warren <bluu55@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:08:24 -0700 (PDT)
 Hi Terry, and welcome to the "Ole Trucks List". Sounds like you have a great
find there! If you have questions about your truck, this is the place to ask
them! It's a great resource to have handy! Well, have fun with your new find!
Talk at you later.

Rick (Griz) Warren
'55 1st series 3100
White Heath, IL.
http://www.expage.com/oldbluu

  Ole 51 <ole51@att.net> wrote: Hi All-

New to the list and to old Chevy's, so thought I would take a minute to
introduce myself.

The new pride of my life (dont tell the girlfriend) is a 1951 Chevy 3100.
Hopefully I wont bore you too much with the history, but it was purchased
new in northern Alabama by my great uncle, with cotton hauling in mind. In
1967 (the year I was born) he drove it to the woods to go deer hunting,
where he had a heart attack and died (may we all be so lucky to pass on
while doing something we love). The truck mostly sat in my great aunts
garage, with only occasional use until the early 80s when she gave it to
her brother-in-law (my grandfather). Pop fixed up what rust there was on it
and gave it a fresh coat of paint. This was his baby until he passed away
in 1991. It officially became property of his son then, however, he never
registered it, kept it at grandma's house, and only rarely started it and
drove it around the yard. After it wouldn'tt start for him, it spent an
eternity cooped up in a shed before he told me to come get it if I wanted
it. With the help of a fresh battery, fresh gas, and cleaning some rust
out of the distributor cap, I was driving around the yard in less than an
hour. The old fella ran, idled, drove, stopped and steered perfectly,
obviously thrilled to be released from the confines of the shed. After a
thorough washing, this beautiful blue truck emerged from under a thick layer
of dust. I even have the wooden stake bed, sized for one bale of cotton,
made by my great uncle, and still in great shape.

So thats how I got here. Now Im trying to learn how to give this guy the
attention he deserves. Everything seems to work, right down to the gages,
lights and wipers. Tires, hoses, plug wires and weather-stripping are
pretty dry-rotted. An ignition tune up is probably in order. And finding
all the lubrication points would have to make him feel better.
Cosmetically, there is some rust on the bumpers, and the hood emblem has a
pencil sized rust hole. Also, drivers and passenger windows are cracked but
intact. There are probably other things that will need attention, but that
is it for now.

Im no stranger to old vehicles, but this guy has 20 years seniority over my
next oldest project. Any good resources (books, web-sites, subscriptions) I
should be aware of? Also, how about good parts sources for the items above?

Terry
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/