RE: [oletrucks] 54 Chevy truck

To: "'Eugene Powell'" <epowell@woh.rr.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 54 Chevy truck
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 08:04:35 -0500
A puller is the easiest and most reliable way.

If you are lucky (I seldom am) try this first:
    1.  Remove the nut at the top of the shaft
    2.  Remove the horn switch mechanism
    3.  Squirt a little Liquid Wrench on to
            the area where the shaft splines
            engage the steering wheel.
    4.  Give the Liquid Wrench a while to work.
    5.  Try pulling the steering wheel.
    6.  When that doesn't work put the nut
            back on the shaft and run it down
            to the point that the top face
            of the nut is flush with the end
            of the shaft.
    7.  Have your son sit in the driver's seat
            and jam his knees under the bottom
            of the steering wheel rim asserting
            pressure towards himself.
    8.  Have your son pull on the top part of
            the steering wheel with his hands.
    9.  Using a brass hammer (or steel if you
            are lucky, I seldom am) squarely hit
            the end of the shaft & nut.  When
            this doesn't work go to your FLAPS
            and buy a puller.
   10.  Whatever you do, don't hit the end of
            the shaft with anything without the
            nut in place.  Chances are very good
            that you will ruin the threads.