Re: [oletrucks] Big Block Torque??

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Big Block Torque??
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 18:27:07 -0700
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:45:37 -0600 (MDT)
> From: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Big Block Torque??
>
> Any opinions of how well a '58 car rear end would be able tohandle the
> torque of a BB? Should I just ditch it and put in a 9"?
> Thanks
> - -alfie

Alfie--

The old car rearends are rather weak....I've heard lots of stories of
them coming unglued (mainly the spider gears) in small block powered
cars with manual trannys.

The 9" is stronger, but can be expensive to get one that's just the
right size...the later GM 8.5" 10 bolt rearends are stronger than the
early rearends, and should be close in size, and the same bolt pattern
as the 58 car rearend.

Jim