Re: [oletrucks] Thoughts on suspensions

To: OleTrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Thoughts on suspensions
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:24:35 -0400
Sorry I erred!  I forgot that the steering box is mounted on the extended
frame and must be cut off the donor truck in order to get it in the proper
relationship with the other suspension geometry. One can weld temporary
braces to this to hold it into position when removing the front assy and
cut off those temp. braces after. Its a good Idea to cut off the other side
after adding bracing so you get the idler arm in the correct position
geometrically also. I'd add a GM 1-1/8" sway bar. The measurements to
attach this are not as critical as the steering box/idler arm is.
Rogerg

There is another option and that is the use of a mid 70's Chevy PU front
end and crossmember assy that is only bolted onto the frame. Its an inch
wider so you have to use two 1/2" spacers on each side of the frame, but it
keeps all the components Chevy related and parts are easily available. It
also keeps a truck a truck. It also provides the V8 motor mount and
steering box mounts. It has the large disc brake rotors  that can be
redrilled for the 6 lug wheels and nearly correct ride height. I have no
problem with the Mustang  II front end for a street rod but would not feel
comfortable with it hauling my stock car trailer!  A more complete
description with pictures can be found at
http://home.utm.net/bfischer/trkifs.html
Rogerg
51-3100AD Huckster