[oletrucks] GMC tach

To: "'Blaine & Maggie Dumkee'" <bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca>
Subject: [oletrucks] GMC tach
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:55:50 -0500
The original V8 GMC tach was actually a Stewart Warner electric tach.  It
was two piece, a sending unit under the hood and the meter in the dash.  It
had a 90 degree swing measuring (I think) 5000 RPM.  The 6 cylinder tachs
were mechanical (like a speedometer) being driven from a special distributor
that has a gear on it's shaft and a place to connect the cable and had about
a 290 degree swing measuring 4000 RPM.  I've never seen a stock tach on a
pickup, just on larger trucks.

I found a Sun Super Tach II at a swap meet for $15.  If you pop the chrome
bezel off of the black bell-shaped case (it is glued on, but not well) you
will find that the case has a lip on it's open end.  The lip is about 1/8"
too large to fit into the opening in the GMC dash.  I took the guts out of
the tach and attacked the lip with a Dremel tool, sanding off just enough of
the lip to let it fit into the GMC's dash opening.  A trial fit showed that
the glass rattled so I put 3 small dabs of clear RTV 120 degrees apart on
the face of the glass at the outside edge and let it dry.  I then trimmed
off enough of the RTV to just allow the glass to be held securely between
the tach and the GMC dash bezel.  There is nothing for the little plates
that GMC uses to hold the tach in place to grab, so I roughed up the plastic
on the tach and used a little JB Weld to build a ridge for the plates to
grab.  I hooked up the tach's electrics and now had an operational 8000 RPM
tach in my dash.  This is probably as far as you could go with a 6 cylinder.

The problem with an 8000 RPM tach in a truck with an engine that is hard
pressed to turn 4000 RPM is that the you only use half the swing.  My
Hydra-Matic equipped V8 up shifts no higher than 3700 RPM and with a 3.08
rear end 4000 RPM in high gear would be about 110 MPH, much faster than I
would consider pushing my truck.

Tachs don't actually measure RPM, they measure pulses (point closures) per
second.  Most after market tachs (including Sun Super Tach II) have a switch
on the back side to set 4, 6 or 8 cylinders.  An 8 cylinder engine at 4000
RPM will have as many point closures as a 4 cylinder engine does at 8000
RPM.  Using that same math, if you flip the switch on the back of the tach
from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder and still hook it up to an 8 cylinder engine
you will now read full scale on the tach when the engine is turning only
4000 RPM.  I set the switch to 4 cylinder.

Then I removed the face from the front of the tach (two small screws).  I
turned the face over and painted the back flat black.  The dash decal kit
from Heavy Chevy has a speedometer face for the 80 MPH speedometer.  I used
an Exacto knife and cut just the outer hash marks in one piece from the 80
MPH speedometer and applied them to the tach face.  I then cut just the
digits 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 from the speedometer decal and applied them to the
tach face 0 at the beginning hash mark, 2 at the center mark, 4 at the end
and 1 & 3 between the others.  A little model airplane paint (see below) on
the tach needle to match the GMC instruments and some green transparent
plastic around the tach's internal lamp (I used a strip cut from a plastic
7-Up bottle, Mountain Dew is too yellow) to match the GMC's dash lighting
scheme, button it up and I have a stock looking 270 degree swing 4000 RPM
tach.  If you ever install a hot engine you can always flip the original
8000 RPM side face back out and select 8 cylinder.

By the way, when I recently installed a Pontiac HEI distributor in my GMC I
had no problem with the tach.  Just hooked it up to the TACH connection on
the distributor cap.

A follow up to the clock message below.  I considered hooking the clock to
the truck's electrical system, but it was just too easy to change the
clock's battery once a year or so.  Plus I would have had to come up with a
circuit to regulate down to 1.5 volts.