Re: [oletrucks] Re: (no subject)

To: greyhawk200@att.net, wayne@chevytrucks.org
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: (no subject)
From: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:41:01 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/01 5:19:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
greyhawk200@att.net writes:

<< I probably should mind my own business here but (besides being a busybody)
I'm afraid you'll damage your gauge. IMHO, 1 (or .6) ohms would be way to
small. The gauge probably doesn't use much current at all so the voltage drop
across a 1 ohm resistor in series would be almost nothing so the gauge would
see the full 12 volts Remember ohms law? voltage is equal to the resistance X
the current. If the 1 ohm resistor were to drop 6 volts it would have to have
6 amps flowing through it. You could measure the sending unit (I think
they're like 50 ohms) than make the series resister
 the same, that should cut the voltage in half, or maybe a 6 volt zener
diode. >>

I used a 50 ohm 10 amp resistor in series with my guage.  It does not give me
a full reading, so I'm thinking of dropping to something less, maybe 25 ohms
to see if that works better.  It does seem more accurate on the empty end
than the full end.

Mike Klepp
'48 3100
Wichita Falls, TX