[oletrucks] Headlight Wiring

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Headlight Wiring
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 23:59:46 -0500
Hi All

A previous line had a complaint about yellow headlights and a faint glow on
the hi beam indicator when the lights were on in low beam.  I to had
suffered this problem and had tried everything I could think of on the
truck, played with the wires, played with ground, replaced the headlight
switch, replaced the hi beam dip switch, pulled out some hair, etc.  Finally
went to the FLAPS and picked up a new pair of Halogen head lamps.  I
installed them, turned on the lights and presto everything worked as it
should.  lots of light on both hi and low beams, no feed back through the hi
beam indicator when in low beam.  The only thing that I could figure out is
that the ground in the old bulbs somehow allowed for a back feed when in the
low beam mode through the high beam filament which then ate up some power
causing the lower light output and also the indicator light to glow.
Voltage on both headlight feeds was good and I too have rewired my truck
with a Chevy Duty harness.  I am also running a 12 volt system and if you
are not I would STRONGLY suggest upgrading to 12 volts.  Hope this, if
nothing else, gives some moral support as you are not suffering this problem
alone

Mac