Re: [oletrucks] 235, 261 & rearend questions

To: <Pastorjon994@cs.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235, 261 & rearend questions
From: "Gary L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:46:18 -0700
Jon, first, Chevelle's started in 64 I think. Chevy II's started in 62.
These engines would be the 230 or maybe a 250 in later models. A totally
diff engine family and the replacement for the 235 or 261. 261 was a truck
only engine also. The bellhousings and mounts are totally diff and not
interchangeable.  On rears, most with autos will be in the 2.50 or 2.75
range and too tall for stick trans as is. There is a code stamped on top of
one of the axle tubes stamped in and mostly under rust, hard to see in
vehicle. Check any shop manual for a GM car for location. You'ld need a good
light, wire brush and be a contortionist to get it off the car in yard. May
be easier if wheels are off, as it's near the brake drum. Then the dealer
can tell by the code what it is. Gears can be changed too, just more time
and money. Nova's have about right width and stuff for our trucks, if you
don't mind 5-lug wheel studs. Have to cut-off the mounts and put on new
mount pads for your springs  on most any axle you do find, no bolt-ins. Good
Luck.
G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN