Re: [oletrucks] 57 Cameo

To: dyerpart@continet.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 57 Cameo
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: 17 Oct 2001 02:24:40 -0700
     Check the following url and join the Cameo club; they maintain alot of the
information that you are looking for:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/cameo/

     My brother is doing a 57 Cameo as a stock restoration down to every nut,
bolt, and assembly marking as much as possible; it has a 265 V8 with Hydramatic
and is Seafoam Green with Bombay Ivory trim.  Or at least it will be if he ever
gets it finished.  I would doubt that the Cameos came in all colors, but there
was much more selection in 57-58 than there was in 55-56.

     The Cameo club maintains that that truck V8's were gray and not the orange
used for car engines.  This information seems to have been lost over the years
as almost all rebuilds and replacement engines were the car orange.  The
problem with gray is that it isn't a neutral color--it seems to always have a
blue or green tint to it.      My brother, with info from the Cameo club, seems
to think that the blue tint is more correct.  Brian doesn't do email, but I put
you in touch with him if you will ping me off list.

     Engine color is disputed quite a bit.  Some people insist that they were
orange and that they remember seeing them that way from the factory.  I know
someone whose dad bought a TF truck new and says that he distinctly remembers
that the engine was gray because he was so disappointed that it wasn't orange.
In that era, dealers would do anything for customers; I know of one 57 Cameo
out of Atlanta that has paperwork showing that it came new from the dealer (not
the factory) with a Corvette dual quad 283. . .since it is a car engine, it is,
and always was, orange.

Mark Noakes

58/56 Chevy Suburban

59 GMC Suburban