[oletrucks] 302 military motor conversion

To: "Oletrucks@Autox. Team. Net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 302 military motor conversion
From: "Rob Steinmetz" <rstein@sssnet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:38:13 -0500
        I recently purchased a 302 GMC motor from a salvage yard.  It came out
of a
WWII 6x6 of some sort.  It had an air compressor (for air brakes, I assume),
24V generator with a conduit connector that looks to have 20 wires or so, as
well as a snorkel-fed intake system and waterproof distributor.  The engine
came with all these pieces, as well as an oilpan that has a recess in it for
the front axle.  I am attempting to replace my 228 GMC in my '50 1-ton with
this engine.  In an effort to keep things looking the same as when I had a
228 in the truck, I want to mount the 228 oil pan on the 302 motor.
        The oilpan mounting configuration looks the same, so I am not too
concerned
about it bolting up.  I assume that with either the pickup tube and/or the
oil pump assembly from the 228, I can get the 302 to draw oil out of the
original pan.  The main problem that I have is that the dipstick tube on the
302 motor goes through the side of the steel oilpan.  My 228 engine dipstick
tube was drilled through the block just behind the fuel pump.  I think I can
drill the 302 block to accept the 228 dipstick tube and move on.  That's
where the list comes in to help.
        Has anyone attempted this?  If so, what method should I use to drill
through cast iron to get a straight and true hole?  What cooling will I need
on my drill bit?  Can I use a hand drill, or will I have to take my block to
a machine shop?
        Would the 302 military oil pan fit?  Probably, I guess.  I want to put
the
302 in and keep the truck looking pretty much like it is a 228, however.
The truck will get a NV4500 transmission (as soon as I get an adapter plate
fabricated to mount the engine to the transmission.)  When it's all done, I
hope to be able to pop the hood and have everything look like a
plain-vanilla 228 truck restoration.  The 302 will look the same, but
perform a little better than the stock engine.
        Any help will be appreciated.