[oletrucks] IFS swap

To: "Oletrucks Mail List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] IFS swap
From: "Mark Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:35:21 -0800
I'm in the midst of this swap.  So I am no authority.  But, here is what I've
found.

Pluses:
    1. Very inexpensive.  $130.00 at half price sale at the local Ecology.
Wrecking yard.
    2.  Ease of installation.  I did it by myself.  Take your time and use
common sense.
    3.  Very strong and heavy duty.
    4.  Large disc brakes.
    5.  Power steering.

Minuses:
    1.    It raises the front by about 4-6 inches.  Cutting 2 full coils still
keeps the front fender about 3-4 inches above the tire (215/75x15 tires on 6"
wide wheels with 3 3/4" backspace).
    2.  This frontend is very wide.  With the above mentioned tire wheel
combo, the tires stick outside the fenders about 3/4"

    Both of the above problems are being remedied by Chrleys Drop shop in
Portland, OR.  He modifies the Lower and upper A-frames.  This narrows the
front about 1" on each side.   It also lowers the front 2".  If this works as
advertised then i should end up with about 1 1/2" clearance between the top of
the tire and the fender lip.  These mods should also move the tires hust
inside the fender lip.
    These mods will put the truck at just the stance i was looking for.  But
they have added about $500.00 to the cost of the front end conversion.  Still
cheaper than an MII, or i beleive a clip (No experience ther, only what i read
and hear).

My Opinion:
    If I knew then, what I know now, I would have gone with the MII or maybe a
Caprice clip.  But, no crying over spilled milk.  Suck it up and get on with
it.
    When i get the rubber on the ground I'll post some pics.  Hope it's not
much longer.

To anyone reading this.  Please take this for what it is, MY OPINION