Re: [oletrucks] Adjusting Pinion Gear Play

To: "Chuck" <birdman@flinet.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Adjusting Pinion Gear Play
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:59:15 -0800
You'll need a dial indicator to set the ring-gear backlash. Provided that
you didn't change the pinion shims, you should not need to make any other
adjustments. If you can't use a dial indicator, you can set the backlash by
spreading hi-spot blue (greasy, comes in a tube) on the  face of the ring
gear teeth and observing the pattern left in the blue after the pinion gear
rolls across the ring gear teeth. The correct pattern can be found in a
good Motor's or Chilton's manual in the unit repiar section. You move the
ring-gear carrier assembly left or right (closer or further away from the
pinion) to get the right pattern.

-Tom

At 04:04 PM 12/2/01 -0500, Chuck wrote:
>Hello my fellow old truckers! I am putting my closed driveshaft
>rear end back together after replacing the oil seals on my '50
>1/2 ton 3100. I also removed the gears for no particular reason.
>My question is, what is the proper way to adjust the pinion gear
>  play using the two star like adjusters on each side of the differential?
>Thanks is Advance !
>
>Chuck
>'50 Chevy 3100

Tom Allen