[oletrucks] Re: trasnsmission woes

To: "Alan Lubow" <alosteo@uswest.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: trasnsmission woes
From: The Perfesser <driver@49chevy.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 07:35:14 -0600
At 06:54 PM 12/5/2001 -0700, Alan Lubow wrote:

>FWIW, I've got a 50 1/2 ton, with the original 3 speed.  I had a used one
>put in my truck when my transmission  started doing what yours does, maybe
>18 years ago; no probs since.

Somebody else commented that the "light" quality of these transmissions
bears more on their longevity than their reliability.  Properly rebuilt,
I'm coming to believe that their entirely adequate, unless you're hauling
boulders - and the heaviest think I haul is old newspapers and flattened
cardboard.  So, I think the transmission is adequate, my problem is getting
it rebuilt.  I think we've come up with a diagnosis - brass rings
associated with the synchronizer are worn, and I think they are the most
difficult parts to replace so a new (rebuilt) "Bowtie" tranny may indeed be
indicated.

>I had the Patricks rear end gears put in a
>couple of years ago and I do like the ability to go highway speeds but now
>find the original brakes a little scary at those speeds in traffic so I'm
>considering disks.

Well, I don't intend to do all that much highway driving, and I think my
brakes are pretty good, they've been rebuilt too (new dual master and all
new wheel cylinders).  What I'm more interested to hear is what sort of
experience you've had at the low end... with the original 3 speed gearing
and the higher ratio rear end, do you notice any difficulty coming "off the
line" ?

>It's a slippery slope. . .

Ain't that the truth!

>I think the Saginaw upgrade
>is a good one -- I do trust Patrick's opinion on this.  However I think his
>approach was developed a while back, and he does make money selling you what
>he recommends and his stuff isn't that cheap!  Really a lot of guys
>(especially the hot rod crowd) now just go directly to the open axle and
>there are major advantages to this including ease of access,  the ability to
>more easily use modern parts including a wide range of readily available
>rear ends, modern brake setups, etc.

There have been some other responses on the list about the other
alternatives that are available, and they all seem to require more
modifications.  Since I am not the mechanic here, just the dilettante old
truck aficionado, I think I have to stay as close to original as
possible.... or the mods will wind up costing a fortune... talk about a
slippery slope....

>  I'll probably go the Saginaw route if
>my tranny acts up again.  When I checked into this last year they were
>readily from local transmission shops for about $150.  But then you do have
>to buy Patricks kits, etc.

Right.... etc etc etc.... $ $ $....

Though the original of this message was sent directly to me, I've taken the
liberty of cc: my reply to the oletrucks list.... hope you don't mind.....

Thanks,

--POS

Paul Schatzkin, aka The Perfesser
http://www.theperfesser.com