[oletrucks] 55 Chevy Coughing

Subject: [oletrucks] 55 Chevy Coughing
From: "Ted House" <thouse@raleys.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 05:45:55 -0800
 I am a mechanic novice, and any constructive help would be appreciated
( I bought the truck to learn) so bear with me....
     I have a 55 chevy 1/2 ton with a 235 and a 4 speed transmission.
The engine has been basically dying when I come to a stop.  I have to
set the idle at what seems pretty fast to somewhat cure this problem,
when it idles it also seems to cough a little. Also, when i takes off it
is kinda of jerky...I know a little about setting the mixture and idle
screws.  Would getting a timing light and a dwell meter help this? Or is
there more to it? ...if I purchase them, are there any tips I can get on
using them on a truck this old?   When setting the timing in this
instance do I turn the distributor for adjustment?
    Also, any tips on setting brakes or brake issues...my brakes go from
when i press the pedal about 1/2 inch they lock up one of the wheels,
and other times i can press the pedal down about 2 inches and they seem
to work fine.  Now they are starting to squeak when i press the pedal.
The brakes are original...

     Also does anyone in the sacramento are have any parts for a late
30's dodge trucks....I am looking for brake drums for a 36 dodge 1/2 ton
truck.

Thank you for you time,
Ted