Re: [oletrucks] 50 3600 REAR END SWAP

To: Noyes <dnoyes@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 50 3600 REAR END SWAP
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:40:10 -0800
According to my parts book that covers 46-72, about the best you can do
with your original housing is a 4:10 Ratio. For 68-72 (and perhaps later)
the book lists a Dana axle with leaf-type spring having a 3.54 ratio. These
came on series 20. Since there is a separate listing for the G-20, I assume
they mean pickups and not step vans. That should give you something to look
for.

Remember, you can also affect revs per mile by changing tire size. The
one-tons with the 5.14 axle have much bigger tires but about the same revs
per mile as the 3/4 tons with the 4.56 axle. So if you used a 4.10 axle and
16% bigger tires, you'd have the same revs per mile as with a 3.54 axle.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 09:24 PM 1/16/02 -0800, Noyes wrote:
>I have a '50 3/4 ton with a 4.56 rear end.  I'm installing a 350/T350 and
>need to change the rear for highway cruising.  I would like to only replace
>the ring & pinion, but the best I could find was 3.90.  I'm looking for more
>like 3.20 or better.
>
>Do I need to find a complete rear end from another truck?  If so, what years
>and models should I start looking at?  I'd like to stay w/the original leaf
>springs and 8 lug pattern as I'm using this as a puller/hauler.  I heard 3/4
>ton Suburbans has rears about the right size, but don't know for sure.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff
>'50 3604
>Sonoma County, CA