RE: [oletrucks] Quadrajet--carb rebuilding

To: "'J Forbes'" <jforbes2@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Quadrajet--carb rebuilding
From: "William Gray" <william.gray@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 06:21:29 -0500
I'll add my piece on Q-Jets, about the leaky fuel bowl.  Symptom of the
problem is an empty fuel bowl after letting it sit a day or 2 without
running; you have to crank the starter 10 or 15 seconds to refill the
fuel bowl before it will start (unless you have an electric fuel pump).
Problem is these carbs have holes, I forget how many, in the bottom of
the fuel bowl section, I think they're core support holes to facilitate
the casting process.  Rochester presses soft plugs in to seal them, but
they frequently don't seal or lose their seal over time.  If they don't
seal they allow the bowl to slowly drain into the intake manifold.

I've read of several cures, been afraid to try most.

One is to replace the plugs with the same type of plug (good luck
finding those!) or a piece of soft lead shot just slightly bigger than
the hole.  I don't like this because of the abuse of the casting
required to remove the old plug and press or drive the new one in.

What I've had success with is using fuel-proof epoxy to seal around the
edge of the plug.  Make everything very clean and dry.  A couple thin
layers over all the seams that could be leaking, with a day or 2 cure
time between, should do it.  You can test your work prior to reassembly
by (carefully; no spilling) filling the bowl with fuel and let it sit
overnight over a clean white paper.  Next day check the paper for drips
and the bottom of the bowl casting for wetness.  If all is dry you're
done; if not, clean it all up, start over and do it better.  You could
use the same method up front to determine which plug is leaking.
I've done this on 3 Q-Jets over the years.  On two the cure worked
completely, on the 3rd the bowl began its draining trick a few months
later, but at an acceptably slow rate.  I didn't keep any of these carbs
in service for more than a couple years after rebuilding, so I don't
know how it holds up longer term.

Bill Gray
william.gray@snet.net