Re: [oletrucks] Please Help Me Correct My VIN

To: "Old Chevy Trucks maillist \(E-mail\)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Please Help Me Correct My VIN
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:41:29 -0800
I would think it would be pretty difficult to put a valid number on the door
plate unless your title has a matching original door plate number on it.
The door plate number consists of a series of letters and numbers that
decode to its tonnage, where it was manufactured, etc., but more
importantly, the last several numbers are a unique serial number.  The
factory manual for 1950 has a decoder in it.  Without the title information,
how do you pick the unique serial number?  You can certainly guess, but if
you accidentally pick one that is already taken, and properly titled, that
could lead to some serious heartache down the road.  Food for thought.  You
can have your title vin legally changed in most states if you change motors.
I've changed vin's in the past through the dmv when I put a different motor
in a truck, when the title vin was a motor number.  In cases where the title
number is the door plate number, this is obviously not necessary.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100