Re: [oletrucks] Clutch & brake bushings

To: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Clutch & brake bushings
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:47:02 -0800
It's really not all that bad. Unbolt the pedals from the lever arms; then
take the clevis pins out of the bake and clutch arms. Remove the retainer
from the end of the pedal shaft (clean the grease off the end so you can
see how the retainer works). There's a spring behind it so it can be a bit
of a pain to reinstall. Slide the pedals off the common shaft. Check the
shaft for wear. If the shaft's not worn, all you need to do is rebush the
pedal arm bores.

The bushings you get from Chevy duty must be reamed to fit. They can be
pressed into the arms with a vise but then you have take them to the
machinist to be reamed unless you happen to have a reamer that size.
Measure the shaft with a micrometer (be accurate, you only get one
chance),  then take the arms with bushings and the measurement to the
machinist. He will probably say that he likes to have the shaft so as to
ream to fit. Remember to allow 0.002" or so for grease clearance.

I did this with the cab off the frame so your mileage may vary, as they say.

Good luck,

Tom Allen
51 3800

At 12:29 PM 2/20/02 -0500, MKlepp4335@cs.com wrote:
>I have ordered the new bushings for my clutch and brake pedal assembly,
>should be here any day.  I need some feedback on the difficulty of this
>repair.  I'm sure some have done this before.  Looks like a pain in the neck,
>literally.
>
>Mike Klepp
>'48 3100
>Wichita Falls, TX