[oletrucks] Re: S10 T5 Transmission

To: lloydt@Colorado.EDU (tim)
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: S10 T5 Transmission
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:19:19 -0500 (EST)
Oletruckers ~

I have had so many requests for the S10 T5 installation instructions
that I am resending to the whole list.
This is for installing a Chevy S10 T5 speed transmission in a _3/4_ ton
model 1947 - 1954 Chevy AD pickup or a 1/2 ton that has been changed to
an _open drive_ rearend.

1.   The best Chevy S10 T5 is from a 4.3L V6 1988-92 Chevy S10 Pickup.
The 4 cyl. T5 version is too low ratio gearing.

2.   You need to modify the transmission's throwout bearing shaft by
shortening it about 1 inch.   The best way to determine the proper
length is to match the old stock transmission throwout bearing collar
length.

3.   I used a new stock 1955 Chevy clutch pressure plate (on my '55
235ci engine) but you need a 14 spline clutch disc to use with the 14
spline T5 tranny input shaft.   The stock S10 clutch disc is pretty
flimsy so I used a 14 spline 1988 Chevy Camero disc.  I had to grind
about 1/8 -1/4 inch off the surface of the center of the clutch spline
area for clearance.  The stock bellhousing, flywheel, pilot bearing,
throwout bearing and all stock clutch pedal and arm works great.

4.   The transmission will bolt directly to your 235 bellhousing after
you ream out the 4 metric size mounting holes with a 1/2 inch drill.

5.   The shifter will end up about 6 in. further back than the stock
location and the shifter rod needs to be bent a little towards the dash.
I bought a new repro transmission floor panel from Chevy Duty (the one
for a column shift without a hole) and cut a new hole for the T5
shifter.  You can see the results in my attached webpages.

6.   You need to measure the distance from the yoke of the T5 tranny to
the U joint on the rearend.   Mine was about 61 in. and I found an old
Buick driveshaft ($10) that fit with the new universal U joints ($50)
but you can also have one made professionally for more $$.

This sounds more difficult than it actually is.  You can take the
throwout bearing shaft collar to any shop with a cutoff saw and then all
you need is a 1/2 in. drill and a small grinder.  If anyone decides to
go ahead with this project I would be glad to answer any additional
questions.

More slightly different info can be found at:
http://www.stovebolt.com/truck/techtips/t5tranny.htm  thanks to Grant
Galbraith.

Tom

Tom Poterack