Re: [oletrucks] Front end shake

To: "S Culver" <sculver@mcleodusa.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front end shake
From: Bill Bailey <billb1@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:02:26 -0500
Smokey
I'm betting the tires are out of balance. I had a similar problem on a late
model truck one time that did the same thing.
You can check kingpins by jacking up the truck, grabbing the front tire,
one hand at 12 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock and try rocking the tire back
and forth towards you and away from you. If there is a lot of play then the
pins are worn. I had a 54 Jimmy one time that had this problem and when it
rolled it felt like you were riding in a clown car..more like an up and
down than a shake. At any rate it would be cheaper to have balance checked
first.

At 10:33 PM 2/25/02 -0600, S Culver wrote:
>Well, I shouldn't complain, old Jitterbug ('50 3600) has never had a problem
>yet.  But now at about 50 MPH, the front end starts to shake.  Not at 45, and
>not at 60.  Only at 50.
>
>I figure I have one of two problems.  Tires are out of balance, or king pins
>are worn.  If it is the king pins, how can I tell?  Also, is there anything
>else that may be causing this?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Smokey Culver
>League City, Texas