Re: [oletrucks] NEW SURFACES

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] NEW SURFACES
From: MXZ5@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 06:12:17 EST
Another opinion or two ...

With regard to "cleaning" an engine - I don't know about the kerosene route -
it sorta bothers me too.  However, I have very successfully cleaned out some
completely sludged up engines using combinations of clean motor oil and
Marvel Mystery oil.  Drain old stuff, fill with three or four quarts of cheap
oil and a couple quarts of  Marvel.  Start and let run briefly until warm,
then drain and repeat until the black cottage cheese quits running out.
Change filters too.  My '54 hadn't run for several years and it took three
laps before it started acting normally.

As for using STP on a rebuild, I vote yes, sorta.  STP is mostly a viscosity
stabilizer and doesn't have much EP lubricating properties of it's own.  I
have always blended about a third motor oil and two-thirds STP and coated
everything thoroughly during assembly.  Or, you can go to the Chevy dealer
and buy their brand of the same kind of goo, for the same purpose.

Mark
54 3100