[oletrucks] RE: Swapping AD body on newer chassis

To: "'JohnHuntD@aol.com'" <JohnHuntD@aol.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: Swapping AD body on newer chassis
From: "Peters, Jon C" <jpeters@sikorsky.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:04:09 -0500
John,
Some people have done this exact swap onto a 90's s10 extended cab frame.
You are right the later frames are wider than the AD frame. The saddle for
the c10 (73-87) is 3/8 inch wider per side at the front suspension, but the
AD frame is an "A" frame or its wider at the back than in the front. The c10
frame is a ladder frame (as most modern frames are) or straight rails with
cross members connecting them. The 55 stepside bed box was used until 87! So
I think it would be the body mounts and the steering connections and the
brakes.
I'm currently making my own frame (all new) for two reasons:
1.      I'm stretching the cab and integrating the bed, the original frame
flexes too much for that.
2.      I'm also zee'ing the frame to get the body really low, and not
withstanding the first item I'd hate to cut up an original frame.

This new frame will also have the front and rear suspension from the jaguar
xj6 attached which eliminates the required adjustments to fit the original
frame.

If you're serious about going the corvette route; a custom frame really
isn't all that difficult to fabricate. I'm using 3/16 wall (heavy) 2x4
structural tubing for the main rails and the rear xj6 cross member. All
other cross members are 1-= diameter 1/8 inch wall tubing. I've got mine
mostly designed and will start fabricating in a month. I am a good welder,
but for the main rail welding I'm going to (he's really coming to me) a
professional for peace of mind. I'll lay it all out and tack weld it
together, he'll do the real welding. Then I'll position it in place and
connect the sides together with the tubing. It will be heavier than the
stock frame, t it will be stable and can handle all the power I can shove in
it!

Jon C. Peters