Re: [oletrucks] 292 ID help

To: <Jeffros54@cs.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 292 ID help
From: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 14:13:49 -0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
Jeff, on your stamping. I just got the book-Chevy In-line Six Power Manua=
by Leo Santucci and it's great. It even talks about the Mexican block mad=
up into the 90's. We make Mex trucks in plant I'm at and used them in tho=
se
units till 99 new models came out, where they now use the V-6 same as us.
The bood states that the number you mention will give the place cast and
what acc. were on engine. Not sure what that means as doesn't go into det=
ail
too well. I'm thinking it's Flint (F) 15th of Feb? , TGA is use code. The
letters usually mean man or auto trans, Heavy or lite duty etc.=0D
=0D
  Same book has a big list of cast #'s. They are on pass side of block, h=
ave
to clean off gunk sometimes to see them. Usually 7-digit #, not too small=
=2E
There is also #'s showing date near back above starter area. CON 1 or 2 i=
the conveyor used in plant and usually a date code by it like F 12 8 whic=
becomes June (F) 12th and could be 78 or 88 (8) If you look for those #'s
and get back to me, I will check the books list. Also has crank casting #=
's
to see if cast or forged cranks=0D
=0D
Book shows all the holes in blocks that may have changed over years and a=
cc.
attachment holes, etc. Has dipstick locations for diff years/blocks. =0D
=0D
This is a great book for someone rebuilding a newer six, I reccommend it.=
 =0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
Minneapolis-Moline tractors and GMC and Chev big trucks and=0D
COE's of the 50's  "The unfinished restorer!"=0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
=0D