Re: [oletrucks] tranny help

To: Joebeatle64@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] tranny help
From: smiler <Moneymatters@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:35:09 -0400
Joe, The tranny you bought IS off a closed torque tube drive shaft and
was not used with an open drive shaft.  Open drive shafts have the
universal and intregral and permanent part of the drive shaft itself.
Look into you open end of the torque tube..you should see splines which
should match up with the opening in the end of the piece behind the
tranny...Usually these have to be PRESSED on even if they are clean and
greased......

Front and rear shafts are conneected through a universal joint.  Both
front and center universal joints are enclosed in ball type housings.
Center joint is supported by a ball bearing in the rear end of the front
shaft housing.  The ball type housing joint is attached to frame
crossmember by a support.

"Yokes at front end of both shafts are  s l i p  type permitting endwise
movement.  Universal joint trunnion bearings are solid type.  Front ends
of shaft and hub of slip yokes are supported in bushings pressed into
torque tube and front shaft housing"

As you mentioned... the old slipping transmission is not the correct one
and was made to fit???...the assumption here is everything else is
orginal stock and was not modified to fit the make do transmission...If
the rear york does not match the torque tube you have , take it off?,
and maybe you can swap it with that portion from the old
transmission...again there is basically one three speed transmission for
these trucks in the 47-53 year group for 1/2 ton trucks...  Bring both
trannys down and I will try to help you fiqure it out?   It will
probably be easier then swaping out the internal parts in totality.  You
have my numbers give me a call

Chet

--
Chet Balint