[oletrucks] Painting questions

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Painting questions
From: "Rob" <a70ragtop@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:15:22 -0700
Speaking of paint jobs, I'm hoping there is a painter out there who can answer
this:

If I want to go base/clear, is it possible to sand out the base coat so that
it is "perfect" before the clear goes on?  In other words, color sand the base
coat as you would a single stage paint, with ultimately say a 400-600 grit
wet-paper?  Obviously that would leave the base sorta hazy, but when I've seen
a base/clear job done, the base is already intentionally hazy (maybe "FLAT"
would be a better word to call it?)...the haziness disappears when you put the
clear on (sorta like what happens when you put a rock into water...dull colors
are no longer dull).

Seems to me, that unless you can make the base coat "perfect", any
imperfections in the base, will be shown in the clear, and then, the repair is
more problematic.  I know that normally, the clear coat follows right on the
heals of the base (within a couple of hours I believe).  Is there a point when
it is just plain too LATE to put clear on top of the base, or is it one of
those situations, where it must either be within, say 2 hours, or if longer
than that, then you must wait, say a week or longer, ie. there is a point when
it is ok, then not ok, then becomes ok again given enough time for
gases/vapors to bleed off.  Any comments?

Rob

My Zen Moment for the Day:  Duct tape is like the "Force."  It has a light
side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.