Re: [oletrucks] windshield on deluxe cab installation/defroster

To: kmm 1024 <kmm1024@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] windshield on deluxe cab installation/defroster
From: smiler <Moneymatters@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:11:17 -0400
If you have never done it before get one or two good helpers.  Put the
stainless trim carefully in the slot in the gasket made for it.  Then
put the glass in and carefullly put a heavy strong string completely
around the inside edge of the new gasket...with the ends of string
inside the truck in the top middle..position the windshields, one helper
on each side of truck and one inside.  Try to push as much of the
windshield and gasket into place..soaping up the metal edge of the
windshield track with Ivoy dish soap will help to an extent,,soaping the
gasket thoroughly will make it a nightmare as you won't be able to
control it...The guy inside starts pulling the string carefully pulling
inch by inch the gasket lip over the metal ridge as the guy outside puts
pressure on the up coming section on the glass...you can masking tape
the whole assembly (gasket , trim, glass in several places and use a
razor to remove later)  If your trim is in good shape..ie straight no
twist or bends it will be easier....The corners require a fair amount of
outside pressure to POP into place...A plastic bondo applicatior (
small) will help lift the gasket in the corners and tight
spaces...assuming it's a new gasket and very flexible the string will
not damage the gasket..old gaskets will tear...hang the rubber in a warm
room near a furnace to maximize softness before you start..  The front
windshield is easier than the rear window..new flexible gaskets are
critical..hope this helps...Oh   you must hold both ends of string so it
dosn'e pull out of the uninstalled portion of the windshiels..do one
side than the other...you may have to re-string the gasket once or
twice...experiment with the riht weight/strength of the string.

Have fun

Chet

--
Chet Balint