RE: [oletrucks] adjusting valves-cold

To: "Rob & Margie J." <rjjmsj@charter.net>, <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] adjusting valves-cold
From: "haist" <haist2@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:28:53 -0700
It's no fun to work on a hot engine.  Also, even if you start with a hot
engine, by the time you get to the last valves (I work slow)the engine is
considerably cooler and your adjustments won't be consistent. I usually add
.002" to the hot spec for a cold engine and then recheck the clearances when
the engine is hot.  Very close!  The 216 manual has a chart showing
variation in valve clearance during warm up.  An interesting thing to note
is the clearance at cold and at normalized, after 20 of running, is about
the same! The variation occurs during the warm up period.

Whitney Haist
Orinda, CA
Chevy trucks: 1928,1939,1946.
www.haist-usa.com/1939truck