RE: [oletrucks] Gas gauge

To: "S Culver" <sculver@mcleodusa.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Gas gauge
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:57:16 -0500
Troubleshooting chart for "always empty" on TF gas gauge.

        1.      Is there gas in the tank?  At least half tank?
                If not, make it so before proceeding.

        2.      Remove wire from the sending unit.

        3.      Turn on the key.

        4.      If gauge reads FULL go to step 8.

        5.      If gauge reads EMPTY go to step 10.

        6.      If gauge reads other than full or
                empty, offer to buy me a cold one and
                I'll drive down to Webster Saturday
                instead of going to the "Wooden Keels
                and Classic Wheels" show at the
                Lakewood Yacht Club.  I'll guarantee
                there won't be any OleTrucks there, but
                there will be Dusenburgs, Maseratis, etc.

        7.      Stop.

        8.      The sending unit is defective or the wire
                that is supposed to attach to the sending
                unit is attached to somewhere else, like
                one of the mounting screws for the sending
                unit.

        9.      Stop.

        10.     Turn key off.

        11.     Reconnect wire on sending unit.

        12.     Remove wire on gauge that goes
                to sending unit.  Sorry, I don't know
                which side of the gauge.

        13.     Turn on key.  If gauge reads FULL go to
                step 16.

        14.     If gauge reads EMPTY either:
                        a.      the gauge is defective
                        b.      the gauge is not receiving 12V
                                        when the key is on
                        c.      the two wires connecting to
                                        the gauge are swapped.
        15.     Stop.

        16.     Wire that runs from gauge to sending unit
                is shorted to ground somewhere.  The easiest
                way to fix this is to completely replace the wire.