Re: [oletrucks] gas filler

To: rcarlisle@comcast.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas filler
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:16:25 -0500
Rick:

Locating the fill in a fender requires some good sheet metal work or it will
look sloppy.  Also limits pump fills to one side or the other.  Unless you
use a recessed fill, be prepared to wipe-up dribbles from the pump nozzle or
spills or your paint finish will suffer.

Locating behind the license plate in the bumper is OK and allows a fill from
either side, but is a pain to hold down when inserting the pump nozzle
(depending on low low your rear sheet metal is).  If not properly protected
(recessed) behind a solid bumper, could be dangerous in a rear end collision
(puncture tank, start fire, spill gas on road, etc.).

Locating in the bed allows fills from either side, some companies sell nice
looking hinged lids with locks or marine-type (chrome threaded plug).  Make
sure you buy one with drain holes or a hose to keep drips spills from your
tank or bed finish.  Requires some good fitting with bed wood or divider
strips or again may look sloppy.  If you have a soft/hard bed cover, it may
be a hassle to open-up everytime you want to fill.  Be prepared to clean up
drips from pump nozzles or your bed finish will suffer.

No recommendations, just pros and cons to each set-up.  Hope this helps.

Carl Ham
'56 TF Chevy Stepside
Pontiac, IL