[oletrucks] What Next Ah Ha

To: "oletrucks@autox.team.net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] What Next Ah Ha
From: Ray Archambeault <archambeault@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 11:45:47 -0700
My name is Ray and that alone might tell it all.
I asked the group why my starter just spun and did not engage.
A kind soul advised me that the Bendix might be bad.
This morning I woke up expecting to remove and then purchase a new
starter.

I had wanted to be able to see the fan blade turn since I had just
installed a short
shaft water pump and different fan blade. Not much clearance !
After carefully removing the coil wire and while standing outside the
truck along side the starter, I pressed down on the pad under the lever.

It just spun and did not engage.

I settled in for the tedious task of removing the starter, disconnected
the battery
which I had charged all night thinking it needed more juice, and got my
tools set up.
I had to clean up the garage first as thinking and cleaning dont go
together.  I had made a big mess trying different methods of finding my
problem and things were scattered all over.
I had started at seven AM and here it was ten.
I finally removed the starter and found that the bendix was fine, though
it was very loose.  I had thought that it was jammed when I last
installed the starter.
Why did the bendix move so freely.  Should't there be a spring ? What
makes it engage ?
It is now 11;30
I finally had someone get in the truck and press the started pedal and
it cranked OK.
Most of you now know what my problem was and when you stop laughing I
will confirm what you have been thinking.
As I said before my name is Ray.  Only Mom called me Raymond and that
was 50 years ago.
Have you stopped laughing.

THE FLOOR STARTER LEVER AT THE TOP OF THE STARTER
PIVOTS AND MOVES THE GEAR FORWARD AND MECHANICALLY ENGAGES THE STARTER.
You knew that right.!!!!!!!    Ah Ha !
"Where do these people come from"   I said it first !!