[oletrucks] 1949 Chevy 3/4 ton wheel question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 1949 Chevy 3/4 ton wheel question
From: JohnHuntD@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 23:28:10 EDT
I have a 1949 Chevy 3/4 ton long-bed that needs new tires on what I believe
are the original 8-lug-bolt split-rim 15" x 5 1/2" wheels. I visited several
tire shops, including a truck tire shop that can replace the tires on these
"suicide" drop-center split rims, but everyone tells me that for safety and
other reasons I should replace these split rims with later-model Chevy or GMC
one-piece rims. But no one knows which later model Chevy or GMC trucks have
8-bolt rims with the correct back spacing and center hole diameter. Also I'm
told that most of the later 8-bolt Chevy and GMC rims are 7-8" inches wide,
which changes the steering geometry by moving the center of the tire tread
out an inch or so, and the tire may rub the fender at full lock.

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations from anyone about what later-model
Chevy or GMC 8-bolt wheels will fit my '49 3/4 ton with the correct back
spacing and center hole diameter, and not be too much wider than the current
stock 5 1/2" wide rims.

(I'm told there are aftermarket "wagon" type spoked wheels that will fit this
truck, but I want to keep the rims as stock-looking as possible.)

Thank you in advance.

John Doak in Baltimore, Md.