Re: [oletrucks] Trailer Hitch (Jim Wilkerson)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Trailer Hitch (Jim Wilkerson)
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 23:34:38 -0700
We went thru this auto transmission discussion not very long ago. As I said
before, two of the transmission shops here in PHX, where the summer
temperature hits 117 almost every summer, said that even the 700 R4, the
forerunner of the 4L60, when updated by a good shop, is a very strong
transmission. I don't think I'd trust a factory rebuild.  The manufacturers
are more interested in saving money than giving you a good product in my
opinion. Both shops said GM originally used aluminum parts in the
transmission, which assured early failure. The suggestion to have a
transmission temp gauge installed is a great one, and I'd check with a
reputable independent transmission shop as to how often to change fluid. If
you're going to tow a pretty fair load in hot or dusty conditions, you might
need to change the fluid more often than annually. Fluid is cheap.But when
you think abt it, you are going to be pulling quite a bit of weight. I think
my 71 IH 1/2 ton was only rated for 5000 lbs tow weight, including trailer.
And that was with a Dana 44 rear end, HD Chrysler 727, and a truck 345. I
don't know what the frame, brakes , etc of your 53 pick-up were rated when
new, but I would guess 2500-3000 LBS. Does anyone know? You might even have
to strengthen the frame. I would definitely use premium or overload shocks.
And maybe overload springs or supplementary air springs. Every new car I've
bought that had them available, I've ordered HD shocks, springs, and
anything else I could get. Cooling, electrical, etc. It was cheaper to get
them with a new rig. And again, the manufacturers tend to equip new rigs
with components that are BARELY adequate when new, and worthless after a
little wear and tear.You might  want to consider the same idea as you plan
your rig. Build it right-ONCE.  My brother towed a 19-20 ft Collins fifth
wheel trailer in the NW with a Ford 1/2 ton pick-up with a 302 V-8 and AOD
transmission . . He was told by the local Ford dealer he could only tow in
OD under the following conditions: 1 Only on REALLY flat roads. 2 If the
transmission started to hunt, go to direct. 3 Watch the temperature of the
coolant and the transmission fluid. (He had a transmission temp. gauge
installed). He ended driving 95 % of the time in direct at abt 60, to avoid
damage, and the bother. Bob K in PHX