[oletrucks] Re: AD Grill re-plating and Steering Wheel refinishing

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: AD Grill re-plating and Steering Wheel refinishing
From: Dave <dave@juniorbaseball.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:28:25 -0700
on 5/22/02 3:55 PM, oletrucks-digest at owner-0@autox.team.net wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:20:48 -0500
> From: "kirk pierce" <kpierce@charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Reassembling GMC Grille - Use Rivets?
>
> Who did the rechrome and how did it turn out?

All our plating was done by Ace Plating in Canoga Park, CA. They really only
do production work (plumbing, furniture, etc.) so custom work like this gets
shoved behind and takes months to get finished. But Tony is a nice guy and
cares about his work. Not concours quality, just good, clean street chrome,
which is fine for 99% of us. Several items needed re-plating. But overall,
we're happy with it.

By the way - regarding the guy who was stripping and painting his steering
wheel, our is the stock huge AD wheel. It had many cracks in it. Dusty
sanded it with 150 grit, filled the cracks with JB Weld (great do-all
stuff!), sanded the excess, then smoothed it all with 220 grit. Primered
with Krylon dark grey primer. Then painted with black Hammerite spray paint,
which is a dark grey textured finish and looks terrific in our truck with
grey tweed interior. A couple fogged-on coats of Hammerite, then a heavy
final coat. We used Hammerite on many parts of the truck, as it has an OEM
look to it. We used silver, silver-grey, and black on brackets, hardware,
etc.

Dave Destler
'50 GMC