[oletrucks] speedo gear

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] speedo gear
From: Leon Corley <lcorley@ticnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 22:35:40 -0500
I have a problem with my speedo that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.
It's in a 53 1/2 ton.
I have about 0.5 - 0.75 in of slop in the speedo drive gear in the trans.
While turning backwards the gear will slide into the trans and stop against the
trans housing, turning the speedo cable.
While going forward the gear will slide up against the "holder". That's the term
I'm using for the metal piece that screws into the trans and holds the speedo
gear in the right place against the drive gear on the trans mainshaft, or not,
in
my case. This is also the piece that the speedo cable screws to.  The driven
gear
moves so far that it no longer engages the mainshaft gear an hence won't turn
the
speedo cable.  I can't get the speedo gear out of the trans without
disassembling
the tailshaft, so I haven' done it yet.  But the plastic gear looks OK as far as
I can tell.

How much movement of the driven gear is there supposed to be?
Have I got some mismatched parts here?
How long is the holder supposed to be?
Is there some kind of retaining clip that I'm missing?
Is there a diagram of this assembly anywhere?  Not findable in my manuals.

Thanks in advance for any input.

regards,
Leon