[oletrucks] GM V8 Engine questions

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] GM V8 Engine questions
From: "BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <ryan_border@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:18:37 -0700
Do GM big block and small block engines share the same output shaft and
bellhousing mounts?  (Will a tranny from a small block bolt up to a
big-block)?

What is the typical cause of "rod knock", and what is the usual repair
entail?

I'm on a little detour here on my project- as I have apparently
over-estimated the abilities of my air-cleaner: my small block has done it's
best impression of the wierd kid we all knew at the playground... it ate
sand.   I caught it very quickly (hopefully before real damage was done) as
the carb went to hell immediately.  Head's are off, bores look OK to my
untrained eye, but it's going to be a real bear to completely clean.   Any
bright ideas short of stripping it completely down and having the block,
heads, and intake manifold tanked?

Sigh.

Before putting a ton of effort into it, I am considering just dropping a
big-block into it.  I think I've found a 454 cheap, but owner says it has
"rod knock".  How scared should that make me?

Found a Caddy502 which was also of interest; until I started pricing parts
for it.  An oil pan with the rear sump (required for installation) cost
almost as much as the engine, for instance.

Ryan.