Re: [oletrucks] Bell Housing

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bell Housing
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:55:20 -0700
> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:54:03 EDT
> From: AnOld55Truck@aol.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] Bell Housing
>
>        Can anyone tell me if the 265 V8 and the 283 V8 had the same bell
> housing.
> If so, is there a difference in the bolt holes to hook up an automatic or
> standard transmission.
> Ron

Ron--

The V8 engines all have the same bolt pattern where the bellhousing
bolts to the engine.

The 3 speed and car and pre-68 truck 4 speed manual trannys all have the
same bolt pattern and hole size where they bolt to the bellhousing.

The automatic bellhousings (Hydramatic and Powerglide) are specific to
the transmissions...so, you need to use the bellhousing which matches
the automatic tranny.  But the automatics from V8 applications (with
correct bellhousing) will bolt to alll the different V8 engines (and
also to the 63-newer 6 cylinder engines).

Jim F
59s in AZ