Re: [oletrucks] Pinion going

To: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Pinion going
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:54:57 -0400
Steve I found this in some old messages I have saved... Hope it helps. I
think a later post says the center section went to 72.
Roger Gleason
51 3100 AD Huckster

  "I made a similar switch so I could put in a 3 spd OD but took a
different
approach. The 55 to 62  center section will bolt right into an AD housing
but you
will have to weld on spring perches that don't pivot. This way you can keep
your
original rear Huck brakes matched to the front and original e brake cables.
found a '70 Malibu wgn drive shaft to be the right length and later found a
Task
Force drive shaft to also fit. There may be others if your junkyard keeps
an
assortment of driveshafts.
  Are you going to the open driveshaft to put in a truck 4 spd? If so you
will be
getting an sturdier trans and the addition of a Granny Gear but otherwise
the
final ratio is the same and the spread between the other gears is somewhat
worse
than your stock 3 spd.
   Just my 2 cents."

Grant 50 3100

STEVEWY@aol.com wrote:

>" My neighbor has a 4 speed transmission and rear end from a '55 second
series
> that has been totally rebuilt, new brakes, shoes drums, synchros in the
> transmission ,etc.  He would like to sell it to me and I am wondering how
much
> of a job it is to change over from the torque tube driveline to an open
drive
> line?  It looks to me like the spring mountings would have to be changed
on
> the '55, and a new drive shaft made to fit.  Is this a good modification
or
> should I just stay with the torque tube?
>
> I have just recently started work on this pickup and have never driven
it, It
> was in pieces when I got it so don't know the condition of the
transmission or
> rear end.
>
> Thanks in advance."
>
> Steve Wyatt
> '50 3100 5 window deluxe

                      "Steve Hanberg"

                      <steve@OldSub.com>         To:       "OleTrucks mailing
List"
                      Sent by:                    <oletrucks@autox.team.net>

                      owner-oletrucks@aut        cc:

                      ox.team.net                Subject:  [oletrucks] Pinion
going

                      06/26/02 08:53 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Steve Hanberg"

Yesterday I crawled under my 55 1st series suburban to locate the growling
noise it has developed.  I determined that the pinion bearing is gone.  Its
not the universal, its definitely the pinion that is moving around.

I know I have a number of options, but since I wanted to change axel
ratios,
it seems the best answer is to swap another axel under the truck.  The
questions is what.  I know I've seen a web site that listed various
options,
and the pros and cons of each, but now that I need it, I can't find it.
Can
anyone point me to that site, or perhaps tell me what they used, and why it
was a good/bad choice?

I'd sure appreciate any ideas.

steve@oldsub.com