[oletrucks] A rally Good weekend

To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] A rally Good weekend
From: carcooley@webtv.net (Carl Cooley)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:53:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi guys:   I usually just lurk out here but right now I have some thing
to report.   I was going to go to Carlisle this weekend but it never
happened, so I made my own truck weekend right here at hoe.
     My 51 GMC has not run in three years, just could not get it to run.
It has been buried i the garage for the last two years.    Well Fiday
night I unburied it and towed it out int the driveway.   Wahed it up and
put in a new 6 volt battery.   Saturday   drained all the old gas and
started with new.   After a trip to the FLAPS for a conector I
wasgetting gas all the way to the carb but still would not run with out
spraying starter fluid in the carb.   I took the carb apart andgot the
float moving and filled the bowl in the carb with gas.   Put it back
together and it runs!!!!!
      Now the rest of the story.  The brakes were pretty  bad three
years ago now they are gone.  So thats next.   Pulled the rear drum and
it is full of grease.  So I guess the rear gease seals are shot.   Now
comes the questions.  Can I pull the axle with out pulling the cover off
the pumpkin,   or should I clean it out and start with fresh grease in
the rear end.    Also might as well put in a dual master cylinder when I
redo the brakes.
     while I was at it today I put in the wiring harness I bought
several years ago.  It looked pretty intmidating in the bag, but once I
got started it went good.   Don't have the lights hooked up yet but have
it back running and with no brakes I can wait until some other day to
wire up the lights.
      I am sure I will have more questions as I tear into the brakes.
But at least it RUNS!!!!

    Carl Cooley
     51 GMC Long Bed 1/2 Ton