Re: [oletrucks] guages

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] guages
From: "Gordon V. Wilhelm" <gvwilhelm@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:31:40 -0600
> Does  anyone know of a  gauges..from a donor vehicle that would fit into
the dash of a 53 chevy truck?

I found that the set of dual gauges from a 1977 Chev van can be modified
quite nicely.  In stock form however they are mounted into a single metal
case and must be cut apart (easy) in order to end up with two separate
guages (1 quad and 1 speedo).  I was able to figure out quite easily the
connections on the flexible wiring sheet (attached to the back).  The glass
that comes with the original package can be cut down into two circles.  The
guages do not have the same diameter of the original and some type of cover
plate needs to be fabricated.

I was able to modify mine over a couple of evenings and for a total
investment  of $20.00 you can't beat it.  There  may be some dual guages out
there that do not require the above fabrication but I wasn't able to find
them.

Regards,

Gordon Wilhelm
1951 GMC 5 window 1/2 ton