Re: [oletrucks] survey of high-speed options

To: lloydt@Colorado.EDU, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] survey of high-speed options
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:03:36 -0500
Tim:

Can only give limited advice on AD trucks, just wanted you to know if you go
with an open driveline I recently replaced my TH350 auto tranny in my '56 TF
truck with a 2004R (4 speed auto).  Some details:
283 cid V-8 engine
original rear end (suspect it is a 4.11 to 1 ratio)
tire size P235R15 inch
engine RPM with TH350 at 60 MPH = 3100 RPM
engine RPM with 2004R at 60 MPH = 2000 RPM
Reason I went with the 2004R (vs. to 700R4), the 2004R is within 3/8 inch of
same length of TH350 (didn't have to mess with driveshaft or yoke).  Also
2004R works fine for engines below 250-275 HP.  I'm VERY pleased with the
outcome, and I'm preparing a tech article for Wayne to post on his website
describing my 'learning-process' of swapping tranny's.  Good luck with your
survey!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
POntiac, IL