Re: [oletrucks] Steering box relocated?

To: kensandell@attbi.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering box relocated?
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:24:27 -0500
Ken:

The Task Force (TF) series trucks from 55 second series to 59 all had
similar steering gears and all were mounted inside the frame rail.  Just
recently took mine apart on my '56 Chevy 1/2 ton and had to remove the left
side exhaust manifold (I have a small block V-8 engine in the truck now) in
order to remove the steering column and gearbox (all one piece).  Replaced
with power steering gear from a mid-70's pickup mounted to the outside of
the frame rail forward of the front wheel.  A lot of work but well worth the
effort!  Power steering with a tilt column is the way to go, although the
conversion instructions didn't begin to prepare me for the pitfalls that
dragged this project out for over a month.  I hope to write a tech article
for wayne's website soon titled "what they DON'T tell you about power
steering conversions!!".

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL