Re: [[oletrucks] 348/409 Chevy Motor in a '55-'59]

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [[oletrucks] 348/409 Chevy Motor in a '55-'59]
From: Scot Stockton <auriclux@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 19:20:46 -0700
Rick,

> Has anyone out there installed a Chevy 348 or 409 engine in a '55-'59
pickup?  I have a fresh '58 348 tri-power motor and TH400 trans I'm
considering installing in my '57.  Stock suspension and steering.  Any
clearance problems with firewall or steering box? Will stock exhaust manifolds
work, or are headers essential?  Any suggestions would be great.

Well, I have a Rat in my '59 followed by an NV4500 and NP205.

I'm using the manifolds that came with the engine and I had to have mounts
made up, but the engine bay still looks empty (especially compared to my other
engine swaps), and there is no sheetmetal work done to the engine bay due to
the engine placement.

Then there's all those new sticks coming up through the floor board that I'll
have to button up somehow, sometime.

The steering and suspension is all new, and was intended to be anyway, so I
have no thoughts for you on the suspension.

Wait, yes I do, I know the Rat weighs 600#, and I'll bet that your engines are
only a little less.  I'm thinking that this would mean stiffer springs, or at
least an added leaf to the front.

And now that I picture it, I wouldn't be surprised if you find that you have
to fuss with the steering.

Scot