[oletrucks] Re: Non-Op

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Non-Op
From: Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:03:34 -0700
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:54:13 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:44:55 -0700
>From: = <mm@service-quality.com>
>Subject: [oletrucks] Non Ops Registration Details
>
>I'm getting mixed DMV (Calif) information.  I've been registering my'54
>as Non-Operational for the last 6-7 years which states specifically, that
>it CANNOT BE TRAILERED.  I took my parts to a body shop a while ago who
>has painted and is re-assembling most of the truck which I will need to
>pick up soon and trailer it back to my home (about 100 miles away).  I know
>it's still going to be another year before I actually have this thing on
>the road again so I called DMV to see about whether I had to register it
>or not in order to move it.  I have been told, "yes, you must register it,"
>to "no, only if the truck's wheels are going to be on the ground."  Any
>experts out there who can assist?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Michael Mendonca
>'54 Chevy 3100
=========================
What is the exact language that says it cannot be trailered? I've just
looked at my CA non-ops, and they say nothing about trailering. As
long as the wheels aren't touching the road, you're OK. From the
non-op for my '66 C10: "If a vehicle with a PNO status is operated,
parked or left standing on a public street or highway, it may be
subject to citation." If it's on a trailer, it's none of the above.

There is, or was at one time, some question about whether a non-op
vehicle can be towed on a tow dolly, but that's a different question
involving one pair of wheels on the road. If you put it on a full
trailer, you're cool. Guaranteed. The people who told you that it must
be registered must not have heard you when you said you wanted to put
it on a trailer.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way