Re: [oletrucks] electric fan

To: Lee Glenn <lglenn11@mchsi.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] electric fan
From: Jim Nordwall <jimnordwall@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
You did not describe your setup!  When I installed my
electric fan, I used a relay to switch the high
current load of the fan.  I would guess that you have
a relay controlling the fan. The relay is then pulled
in by gounding the relay coil.  This is the way this
is most often done.  Positive 12 volts is fed to the
coil, the path to ground (to allow current to flow
through the coil) is completed by the temperature
switch. Adding a toggle switch under the dash is a
good idea for when the temperature switch fails.  If
your fan is hooked up that way, then grounding the
wire at the sending unit should turn the fan on. The
sending unit should be a switch, not a true sending
unit.

Jim Nordwall
1950 3100

--- Lee Glenn &lt;lglenn11@mchsi.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; Has anybody ever hooked up an electric fan?  I'd
&gt; like to test my new
&gt; setup out and I was thinking that if I hooked
&gt; everything up right, I
&gt; should be able to (with the ignition key on) take
&gt; piece of wire and
&gt; ground the sending unit (at the intake manifold)
&gt; get the fan to start
&gt; turning.  Does this sound right?
&gt;
&gt; -Lee
&gt; '49 3600
&gt; Indianola, IA
&gt; oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
&gt; between 1941 and 1959
http://sbc.yahoo.com