[oletrucks] Bedwood finish - again

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Bedwood finish - again
From: "Mark Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 13:11:39 -0700
I know that this subject has come up many times.

I'm using red oak for the bedwood, in my '55 1st series 3100 1/2 ton.  The
darker grain is quite porous, while the lighter grain is pretty fine.  What's
the best way to get an overall glassy surface?  Varnish, filler, Tung oil?
Can you tung oil the wood then add the filler?  If you do filler will it not
take the Tung oild and look white?  If you go with varnish, about how many
coats will it take?  I really like the way Tung oild brings out the grain, but
it doesn't seem to have any fillling properties. Sorry to hit this subject
again, but I sure like to hear what you gy=uys have to say about this subject.
Voice of experience goes a long way with me.