Re: [oletrucks] Lucky brake problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Lucky brake problem
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:33:36 -0500
I've had it happen (when I was a kid) in trucks with single master
cylinders and trucks and cars with dual master cylinders.  Sure is
a lot less exciting with the dual master cylinder :-).

BTW, all three times it wasn't a hose that went, it was a steel OEM
line on relatively new (less than 6 years old) vehicles in very obscure
places.  Salt on Minnesota roads in the winter.

The last time it happened to me, the rear seal on the master cylinder
on my 96 Suburban went and let all the fluid for the front brakes
leak into the booster unit.  Went out to start it one morning and
the pedal went to the floor.  Worked fine when I parked it and the
fluid level was fine a week  earlier.

I believe in a standing brake test (stand on the pedal as hard as
you can with the truck parked on the driveway) at least once a month.
Whoever says brakes can't fail suddenly and catastrophically if
you check the fluid level frequently is all wet.

Lets be safe out there.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Saturday, 26 October 2002, you wrote:

>Today was the day to fix my leaking right front wheel cylinder.
Pretty