[oletrucks] '49 Chevy Power takeoff question - does it go forwards AND

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '49 Chevy Power takeoff question - does it go forwards AND
From: kevin.s.brown@gm.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:36:34 -0500
Excuse my ignorance, I've never really messed with anything that is driven
mechanically off of a truck power takeoff (I've either used hydraulic
controls or played around with my old tractor - both of which are a
different breed of animal)!  I was driving the '49 Chevy 3/4 wrecker around
this weekend (the one that we got a week ago) and using the winch and boom
to move some other old trucks around when I ran in to a problem - I can
raise stuff up with the winch (it raised a '50 1 ton Dodge truck up with no
problem) but there is no way to lower the load without disengaging the
clutch on the winch (which you have to do with a crowbar when there is a
load on it).  The winch is a Braden worm drive winch (sorry I didn't get a
model number) driven off of the power takeoff on the truck's transmission.
When I looked at Braden's web site this morning and looked at their generic
service manual it appears that you are supposed to run the winch both
directions using the drive unit and you are absolutely NOT supposed to
lower the load by disengaging the clutch.  I didn't think that I was doing
the right thing yesterday but when I tried pulling the PTO knob out of the
dash (from what seems to be its "neutral" position) it seemed to grind  the
gears and not engage anything - it works fine when I push it in to the
dash.  Should the PTO run two different directions????  Thanks!

Kevin Brown
'49 Chevy 3/4 ton wrecker