Re: [oletrucks] Tubes and Radial Tires?

To: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tubes and Radial Tires?
From: kevin.s.brown@gm.com
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:43:36 -0500
I've run tubes with radial tires on wire wheels on my '70 MGB with no
problems.  Even when the spokes of one wheel loosened up badly due to too
much autocrossing and hard driving on curvy mountain roads I still didn't
have any punctures.  You should be able to get rim strips (sort of like
large black rubber bands) that go over the spoke ends inside the wheel to
protect the tube from abrasions.  Failing that I have also used several
layers of good quality duct tape with success.  If you can't find the rim
strips let me know your wheel diameter and I will look around my British
car parts suppliers for you.  Also, make sure to use tubes designed for
radials if you are running radial tires.  Most tubes are designed that way
now I think.

Kevin Brown
'49 Chevy 3/4 ton wrecker